24 YEARS, 24 LIFE LESSONS
Hello guys! How has 2017 been so far? This is the first post of the year and it also happens to be my birthday! I get excited about birthdays because to me, it marks a new beginning, just like a new year. I’ve decided not to bore you with a “new year, new me, resolutions/goals” post as I’m sure every blogger out there has one already.
I’m sharing 24 life lessons I’ve learnt over my years of existence as a human being. Please feel free to comment on what you resonate with the most!
- It’s NOT all about you.
- It’s pointless to try to spend all your energy to get rid of darkness, when it’s easier to introduce light
- You cannot mold yourself to fit and handle all situations, you are not a chameleon. Ask for help when necessary.
- You don’t have to fight hard to please the people that want to stay in your life.
- Positive energy is KEY!
- Anger isn’t worth it
- Contrary to popular opinion, vulnerability heals.
- Let go of expectations. When you have expectations of something, you put it in a predetermined box that has little to do with reality.
- Do not rush forgiveness for the sole purpose of being the bigger person, it’s not worth it.
- You have to trust yourself to come through for you everyday.
- You CAN’T control others. Trust me, I had the hardest time learning this one.
- Never stop learning, there is no such thing as knowing too much.
- Friendships are like delicate expensive flowers. Treat and nurture them as such.
- Your network is your net worth. Build solid professional relationships
- Money is just a small piece in a very big puzzle, it will never solve all problems
- Working towards your goals and making plans for the future is commendable and often very useful, but rushing full-speed ahead towards anything is a one-way ticket to burnout and a good way to miss your life as it passes you by. Pace yourself
- Love is more than a feeling, it is a continuous choice.
- “The moment is all there is. All our worries and plans about the future, all our replaying of things that happened in the past — it’s all in our heads, and it just distracts us from fully living right now”
- “You will miss a ton, but that’s OK. We’re so caught up in trying to do everything, experience all the essential things, not miss out on anything important … that we forget the simple fact that we cannot experience everything. That physical reality dictates we’ll miss most things. We can’t read all the good books, watch all the good films, go to all the best cities in the world, try all the best restaurants, meet all the great people. But the secret is: life is better when we don’t try to do everything. Learn to enjoy the slice of life you experience, and life turns out to be wonderful”
- Not everything that matters right now will matter in 5 months. Cut yourself some slack
- Small victories are as important as big victories. Celebrate as often as you can.
- Give yourself some credit. It’s easy to get lost in the pursuit of everything we’re not that we hardly reflect on how far we’ve come
- You can’t please everyone, so don’t bother trying.
- I have a lot left to learn. If there’s anything I’m sure about, it’s that I know almost nothing and the past 24 years were the foundation level.
On that note, happy 24th birthday to me!
(Photography by @ibukunwilliams_, Makeup by @faaribysisiope)